Climbing is a potentially dangerous activity for young people, not to mention the elderly. But even though we always try to keep all dangerous activities away from our loved elders. There are some elderly people who need and like to do some height activities.
My grandmother, for example, always shared the household chores for us. She would scrub the windows and organize the cupboards when we were not at home. Then there’s my grandpa, who, after retiring, fell in love with gardening and renovating the house to keep life from getting boring.
If we can’t stop them, all we can do is find the safest ladder to keep them safe.
What Qualities Make a Ladder Senior Friendly?
Large Frame: the larger the frame, the safer the ladder. This is because then the more area the ladder takes up, the more stable the center of gravity of the chassis will be. The ladder will also not blow over easily in windy weather. You can make wide movements on this type of ladder without worrying about it tipping over. Very safe and stable for seniors.
With Handrails: when buying a ladder for seniors, choose one with handrails. As seniors age, they are not as flexible and easy to move around. When they climb the ladder, they need something to support them while climbing up. The handrails on both sides and the ladder will form a three-sided space, giving the elderly a sense of security that they are protected even when high up on the ladder.
Small Step Distance: the physical function of the elderly degeneration, that it is not easy for them to lift their hands or legs. So if there is a large distance between the steps of a ladder, there is a high chance that the elderly will step out of the air, lose their balance, and fall down. This point is not easy to notice but deserves our attention.
Tool Tray: need to choose a ladder with a tool tray so seniors can place the tools they need on the ladder. It eliminates the need for seniors always to have to go back to the ground to get things, saving them energy and time and maximizing efficiency.
Non-Slip Steps: a ladder, even if it is not considered for the elderly, must have a non-slip design for safety reasons.
Which Type of Ladder is the Best?
There are countless types of ladders on the market. How do you rule out ladders for seniors that aren’t suitable, and how do you find ladders they can use? Below, we will make a scientific and professional screening for seniors.
Leaning Ladders: first, rule out any ladder that needs to be used against a wall. For seniors, this is the riskiest ladder to use. It doesn’t have a wide base; the treads are relatively narrow (seniors won’t be as comfortable standing); and there are no handrails. That’s why things like telescopic ladders and straight ladders are not suitable to buy for seniors.
Multipurpose Joint Ladders: any ladder that is complicated to operate is not suitable for seniors. Joint ladders can be used in various ways, but they require a certain amount of skill and strength to operate. For the elderly, it is not very convenient and carries the risk of injury. It is advisable not to let the elderly use it.
Step Ladders: it is the only type of ladder that is suitable for elderly use. This is because compared to other ladders, it is more stable as it has 4 points of contact with the ground. Also, step ladders come in many styles, just follow the 5 qualities mentioned above to make your choice.
Top Pick – Tool Tray Step Ladder
If we had to recommend a ladder, then without a doubt it would be this step ladder with tool tray:
- It has a wide frame, wider than many household step ladders on the market. It is stable and safe.
- It has handrails. And the handrail is lengthened, can ensure that the seniors on the first step can hold the handrail to climb up, full of security.
- Ladder with small step spacing. We measured the step spacing of all the home ladders you can buy. Its numbers still shine among them.
- It has a tool tray at the top and can close with the ladder, which is practical as it doesn’t take up much space.
- Its non-slip step design is very fine, which can effectively prevent the elderly from slipping.
- The top step of the ladder adopts ergonomics, and the curved design fits the human legs so that the elderly can feel comfortable when leaning on it.
- Strong locking buckle. It can lock the ladder firmly, avoiding the risk of unstable ladder caused by loose latch.
- Good storage without taking up too much space. This ladder is only 10cm thick when closed, so you can put it in any corner.
Safety Tips for Seniors Using Ladders
● Make sure the ladder is functioning and that there are no damaged or missing parts.
● Avoid using a ladder with deep scratches, that can risk breaking.
● Observe your surroundings well and ensure the floor is firm, clean, and non-slippery. If an elderly person is unfortunate enough to step on any obstacles after descending a ladder, they are likely to fall.
● Make sure that the ladder is placed stably and does not have some rocks under its feet. This will prevent the ladder from sliding or collapsing.
● Do not place the ladder in front of the door. Because you don’t know if someone will push the door after you stand on the ladder. If there is a need to fix the door, please place a sign around to remind others that you are working.
● It’s better not to use a ladder in extreme weather. Like, windy and rainy weather.
● Make sure you are in good physical condition. If you have low blood sugar and haven’t eaten that day, you could pass out on the ladder.
● We have discussed the age limit for seniors to be able to use a ladder. If you’re over that, then it’s best to avoid using a ladder.
● Do not stand on the top step.
● Use both hands when going up and down the steps.
● Don’t extend your hands or body farther than is safe.
● Do not stand on the extreme left or right.
● Try not to climb the ladder in slippers.
● The safest thing to do is of course to use the ladder in the presence of another person. This way, if there is any unexpected situation, you will be able to react in time to ensure the safety of the elderly.
Congratulations on completing another adventure! There is nothing to pay attention to after use; just store the ladder properly.
Gokulad is a professional step ladder manufacturer in China. We care about the safety of the elderly and emphasize the quality of our ladders. If you have any doubts about step ladders or want to wholesale ladders, you are welcome to contact us, we are always online!